Spirited Enterprise

* Where The Magick Happens *

Topic: Mid Life Crisis

Forum Home > Ask A Professional > Mid Life Crisis

puritydesire

Hi i just wanted to know if a person was having a mid life crisis and it looked likely to take years to overcome is there a way of helping that person to resolve and over come their confused self. I ask this as i have been told the love of my life is having a mid life crisis and it will be some 9 - 10 ears before he gets through this properly and decided to reunited with me, i cant wait that long to be happy again. I will be fairly old by then and i want to have this love now as it was something else the one true love in my life, is there work that can push this through quickly getting them to no longer  be confused and ready to commit?

December 25, 2010 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Laure

You know, I think "midlife crisis" is to some extent a reality...but to some extent a construct, and not one of the kind people generally mean when they talk about constructs on this site. I mean a clinical-sounding, intimidating phrase that scares people. American doctors do have a way of using language that scares the hell out of people about natural transitions that everyone experiences! Women do have a big hormonal shift in midlife, which has been represented as a huge ordeal, although it isn't always an ordeal, or even a problem; menopause has been pathologized and become something that's supposed to require medical monitoring. The worse thing that happened to me in the process was that I felt warmer than usual in general, and my head would get hot at times; I wore lighter clothes, slept under lighter covers, and took off my hat if I happened to be wearing one. Big deal. Nothing I needed an MD to help me with. Before adolescence was pathologized, people used to assume that children naturally became women and men at thirteen or fourteen and put away childish things (and they were allowed to do that, rather than kept in school, infantilized well past the time that their biology tells them to take up their adult lives, and bored frantic...and thus motivated to mess with drugs and other serious dangers to relieve their boredom). I don't think "adolescence" existed as a concept before the twentieth century. There was childhood, there was puberty, and then there was adulthood.

The psychological "midlife crisis" could be the onset of wisdom, powered by experience. It could be the knowledge that a person is through with one set of interests and ready to take on another, the need for a change of direction. It could be the realization that much one has been told in childhood is simply not true, so what is the truth? This "crisis" could be a mature adult's need to do something else, to discard baggage and get rid of what he doesn't need anymore, to find what he does need and get it, to know the truth and move forward with it.

December 25, 2010 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mother Moon
Site Owner

Well said Laure!

December 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

puritydesire

Thank you for you valid reply it was a very well worded reply one to which leaves alot to think about many thanks for voicing your opinion it was a very worth while one to read XX

January 19, 2011 at 4:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

conquer001

Wow, Laure! That's some pretty deep stuff. smile

--

January 19, 2011 at 11:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Magpie-Angel

sometimes a mid life crisis can be serious depending on the person. not to extremes that it could endanger them but like i mean they could have a complete change in personality. when my mum had her mid life crisis she went around in tutus, neon leggings and rollerblades with her twin sister while pushing a car up a hill because the petrol tank had a hole in it. so really it depends on the person is what i'm trying to say 

February 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Quote of the Day

Quote of the Day
Quote of the Day provided by The Free Library

Follow me on Twitter

Like Us On Facebook

Herb Selector

Tell A Friend About SE

Newest Members

Recent Photos